Ensuring safe and high quality radiation treatment
Ensuring safe and high quality radiation treatment has been, and continues to be, at the forefront of CPQR work. Looking towards the future, CPQR has established a comprehensive set of priorities that both build and sustain existing programs, and look to push the Canadian quality and safety agenda farther.
CPQR has identified these NEW program priorities for 2017-2022
- Equitable access to radiation treatment across Canada;
- Patterns of radiation treatment practice across Canada; and
- Patient reported outcomes to guide clinical care and pan-Canadian radiation treatment system performance improvement.
Details of these new programs will be released in June 2017! In the meantime, CPQR remains committed to enhancing the usefulness of existing programs:
- Quality Assurance Guidance – Making sure our programs work
- Technical Quality Control – Making sure our equipment and technologies work
- National System for Incident Reporting – Radiation Treatment – Learning from our mistakes
- Patient Engagement – Creating and supporting best practices for patient involvement in care, radiation treatment programs and the cancer system
Recognizing the strength of its partnership with the Canadian Partnership Against Cancer (CPAC), CPQR work continues to align with the themes set forth in the CPAC Strategic Plan specifically within the following priority areas:
- Seamless patient experience
- Maximize data impact
- Sustainable system
Now more than ever, quality, safety, and system performance improvement play critical roles in radiation treatment planning and delivery, given the increasing complexity and rapid pace of technological change and innovation. In addition to the above priorities, CPQR commits to continually monitor the pan-Canadian and international landscapes, and to incorporate a “nimble” system that facilitates responsiveness to new and emerging opportunities.
CPQR work reflects a core set of quality, safety and system performance improvement priorities that align with the priorities of our founding partners, and the broader radiation treatment community. These priorities will be considered when establishing a map for future work.
Sustainability of existing and developing programs is grounded in a robust and continuous evaluation process. Specific measures will be incorporated into CPQR programs to ensure successful implementation in the short, mid, and long term.